The SSP welcome all to attend their 60th Annual Meeting, this year taking place in the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Highlights of the event include:
- Dr Michael Williams – Liver transplantation in Scotland
- Dr Rahat Maitland – Acute medical emergencies in pregnancy
- Professor Opinder Sahota – Managing older patients with fracture
- Dr Susan Nimmo – Acute pain on medical wards
- Dr Euan Sandilands – Best practice in acute poisoning
- Dr Kevin Blyth – Pleural disease
- Dr Jennifer Logue – Strategies to promote weight loss
- Professor David Newby – Valvular heart disease
The 2018 Fitzgerald Peel Lecture entitled ‘Lung cancer – past, present and future’ will be delivered by Professor Marianne Nicolson, Consultant Oncologist, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
After a very successful session last year, this year’s event will also have a dedicated trainee session. This is being led by Dr Ailsa Howie and Dr Vicky Tallentire, Consultants in Acute Medicine at the Western General Hospital, Edinburgh and will focus on some key non-technical skills that are under-represented in medical training and yet essential to a successful and fulfilling working life. The facilitators ask that you bring an open mind, a willingness to engage and one or two examples of challenging interactions you have encountered at work.